Monday, February 14, 2011

I'm a Pesticide Investigator...Or What I Do When I'm Not Home With You!

Mommy is a Pesticide Investigator for the Oregon Department of Agriculture. And, yes, Mommy gets funny looks or stunned silence when she tells people.  Mostly people wonder just what the heck that means I do.  I thought I'd share a few of the things I might do on an average day:
  • Meet with a pesticide dealer to go over their record of pesticide sales
  • Take complaints when someone thinks something has been done wrong
  • Visit with growers about their restricted pesticide use
  • Visit with applicators that apply pesticides for hire
  • Write-up reports about these activities
  • Audit a class that helps train people to become licensed or keep their license to apply pesticides
  • Visit a site of application and take samples
  • Help develop and maintain a database to keep track of our reports
  • Give presentations
  • Go to stores to make sure the products available for sale are registered in Oregon
  • Observe routine pesticide applications as they are occurring
What I do depends on the time of year.  I tend to look at application and sales records in the winter when people aren't out making as many applications.  We take more complaints and do follow-up investigations in the spring and summer because that's when more applications take place.  But anything can happen anytime!

Mommy collecting residue samples in a home treated for bed bugs.  Photos by Michael Odenthal.

Mommy meeting with a grower in the field.  Photos by Jan Fults.

No comments:

Post a Comment