Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Good Bye 20s...Hello 30s. You Are So Gonna Rock!

Today was my 30th birthday.  You won't remember and that's okay.  I just wanted to share a few thoughts with you.  I feel that I've had a good life.  Having said that though, it just seems to be getting better and better.  Your Dad and I can't believe how much you add to our lives.  You are so full of joy and that translates to joy for us.  Thank you!

While you won't remember my 30th birthday, I thought I'd share my memory from your Grandpa Bud's 30th birthday.  I was eight when he turned 30.  Grandma Abbie made him train cakes (one car for each year he was old) when he was 8 and 10.  She decided to do this again for him on his 30th.  She and Grandma Colleen worked quite hard for a month or so before his birthday making 30 different "cars" for his train.  Did I mention it was a surprise party?  He had no idea!

The cake took up the entire table.  There were cars hauling logs, ones with animals, ones that were oil tankers, ones with placards showing pictures of the previous train birthdays, and more.  Your Great-grandma Abbie is a very talented and creative woman.  No one made me a train cake today, but lots of people made me feel special.




2 comments:

  1. Note from Grandma Colleen:
    Hey-
    It was on his 5th and 10 birthdays that Abbie made the train cakes. She did a birthday party for each of the kids every 5 years I believe. That way she only did one once a year.
    We had nearly 60.00 worth of goodies in those cakes. quite a bit of money for the time. Took us a while to find all of the ingredients. We had box cars, coal cars, rock cars, animal cars an engine and a caboose. Can't remember what else. Remind me, and I will get the pictures out for you. It was a little over 17 ft long. Lots of work but kind of fun. Especially since I was just a helper. Abbie did the designing and the baking. I frosted most of the cars. At the time she suggested we do it again when he turned 50. Neither one of us felt up to it. Don't need that much sugar around either.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Grandma Abbie had told me it was his 8th and 10th birthday :)

    ReplyDelete